Moving is a daunting task with so much that needs to be done that confusion will reign if there is no planning and organizing. In order to minimize stress and prepare systematically for the big move, it is always helpful to have a checklist. You can have a simple ‘things to do’ checklist or one with a stratified timeline if that will be more helpful. Either way, getting organized is the key. All the preparation required before the movers arrive does not need to cause any hassle if you can get things done step-by-step with a simple list of things to do and a schedule. Here are some useful ideas to help you make your checklist:
1) Two months before the move
- Start sorting out all of the things in your house – decide what to keep and what is to be given away or thrown out or sold off, and see what things may need to be packed in special packing material during the move.
- Start researching a good moving company that provides all the services you require, including special packing and storage if required.
- Make lists – you’ll need at least three different lists. ‘To-do’ list, inventory list of everything you’re moving, and an expenditure list.
- Start buying packing supplies – you’ll need boxes, duct tape, marker pens, containers and special packing material if you need.
- School for children – if you have children, their records will need to be transferred. Start the process now.
2) One month before
- Pack the things you don’t use on a daily basis. Then, you can start packing wardrobes and cabinets that you’ve either emptied out and even other furniture that you can go without using for a couple of weeks.
- Choose a moving company and confirm dates and all other arrangements, including whether you will need moving storage and exactly when you need the movers to arrive.
- Make sure to notify all parties that need to know your change of address, like your bank, the utility companies, and subscription providers like newspaper, internet and cable TV.
- Categorize your packing and label all your boxes.
3) Two weeks before
- Gather the essentials that you use daily and put them in a separate bag or box. Now you know that everything else has to be packed and you have everything you will need when everything else is packed.
- Apply for a day off from work for the day of the move.
- Keep in touch with the moving company to make sure that all arrangements are confirmed and set to go.
4) During the week before
- Wrap up your packing at least two days before the movers are due to arrive.
- Empty and clean out your fridge and defrost the freezer at least 24 hours before the move.
- Go through your checklists of inventory and things-to-do.
- Check confirmations with your moving company.
5) The day of the move-out
- Make sure everything is accounted for – check your inventory list.
- Make sure the right moving truck has arrived – cross-reference the USDOT number painted on it with the one you should have received during your communications with the moving company.
Moving to or out of the Central Florida | Orlando area? Get a FREE Moving Quote!